Moving Up on Ice Workshops
Saturday, February 23rd, 2019
Take your range of mountain skills to a new level. Ice climbing is an amazing Northeastern winter experience--and integrating ice climbing skills into your climbing kit opens up a host of interesting alpine objectives. Whether you're looking to explore the Northeast's ample ice objectives or considering taking your existing mountain skills to places like Mount Baker's North Ridge, Peruvian gems such as Alpamayo, or Alaskan objectives in the Ruth Gorge, this workshop will be a valuable tool in moving forward—and upward! During this day-long workshop we'll cover the following topics and techniques:
- Ice climbing tools and terminology
- Belaying/Communication sequences in climbing
- Basic knots for technical climbing
- Vertical cramponing fundamentals
- Ice tool technique
- Movement over steep ice terrain
- Advanced ice and mixed climbing techniques
The small-group, customized nature of this workshop will also allow time for participants to direct the learning toward other skills of interest. The Northeast is a mecca for ice climbing and you'll come to love the winter even more once you've discovered the challenges and joys of the vertical ice world.
- February 23, 2019 (Saturday). Meeting at 8am. The day will run to approximately 4pm.
- $135.00 per person. A 30% deposit ($40.50) secures your spot. Please see details regarding payment and policies on our Scheduling Page.
- These workshops will be held in the Bolton/Stowe/Smugglers Notch, VT area. The final site will be determined according to where we can access the best ice conditions and optimal climbing and learning "classroom." We will be in touch at least seven days prior to the event to confirm the meeting location. Lodging in the Stowe/Waterbury area will provide the most flexibility based on the final workshop location; however, lodging in Jeffersonville/Smugglers Notch or Burlington area are also reasonable options. Contact us in advance if you have any related questions.
Necessary Clothing & Equipment:
- All necessary technical climbing equipment is included in the workshop cost. After sending a deposit, please click HERE to fill out a “Gear Needs Sheet” and click HERE for a list of the clothing and other personal items you should plan to bring with you on your climbing day.
Other Questions, Etc:
- Adventure Spirit prides itself on its customized service—if you’ve got any particular questions, etc, please contact owner/lead guide Kel Rossiter at adventurespiritguides@. gmail.com